Thursday, September 27, 2012

Book Review: Honey Boudreaux - Fool Me Once







I don’t normally read YA books, mainly because I’m not ‘Y’ or much of an ‘A’ unless it stands for something else. Case in point, I tried to read Twilight once, and my eyes fell so far back into my head I spent six days in a hospital.

Thus, it was with great trepidation that I began reading Honey Boudreaux’s Fool Me Once. How does one read and review a book within a genre I have a slight bias against? This is why I’m not a regular Amazon reviewer. My tastes are too specific. I could never review a country album. Instant one star! A YA novel? You don’t want me reviewing that if you know what’s good for you.

Yet I started reading Fool Me Once. Challenge your predetermined ideas, I told myself. Listen to that country song! Start a conversation with a Swedish person! Confront your prejudices!

And then do you know what happened? You’d better not, or I’ll report you for spying on me and my family!

I thoroughly enjoyed it! This novel by a first time YA writer is a damn page turner. I don’t even have time to read these days, but I was looking for time and excuses to slip back into this story.

Sixteen-year-olds Tristan and Shelby dream about the future, but not of happy things like robots or flying cars. They dream about people dying and, hopefully, in real life, with the right amount of planning, they can then prevent these deaths from occurring. After saving a couple of lives and effectively cheating said death, the real guy, Death himself, comes after them. They then fight Death together after realizing that the person they’ve been seeing in their dreams for years is each other.

What Fool Me Once is is an amazing thrill ride because Death, the ultimate villain, won’t leave the kids alone: at school, at the bus stop, at the pizza place. Death is always there, and he’s pissed because the teens have already beaten, or fooled, him once. If they can fool him again, Death takes a permanent holiday as far as Tristan and Shelby are concerned. But if he succeeds this time, it’s curtains for these Dreamers, who, by the way, just might be falling for each other.

And you root for the kiddos all the way because, as George W. Bush once said, "Fool me once, shame on...you can't get fooled again." 

So go read Honey Boudreaux's Fool Me Once, for there are sure to be more great things coming from her.


1 comment:

  1. OMG-Michael!! LMAO-Thank you so much for the review! If I can pull in a not so 'Y' and not even close 'A' into reading my book then I'm a happy camper--or maybe I've become a 'Puppet Master'! *cracks whip*

    You're the best! Thanks bunches! :)

    ReplyDelete